Bringing expertise and practical support to museums, libraries and archives in copywriting, copyediting, and proofreading. I also offer interpretation support, text writing and content development.
I was commissioned to create a joint narrative across five museum collections, explaining the story of Ancient Egypt within the industrial heritage context of northwest England. The project involved The Atkinson, Southport; Bolton Museum; Towneley Hall, Burnley; Blackburn Museum & Art Gallery; and West Park Museum, Macclesfield. The work involved:
- Research into the ‘hidden’ stories of five northwest Egyptology collections, working alongside fellow freelancer Catherine Mailhac
- Development of thematic ideas and meaningful connections for cross-museum interpretation, looking at how the collections are relevant to 21st century audiences
- Production of written narrative.
SEALIFE (MERLIN ENTERTAINMENT)
Sometimes you need an external copywriter to bring a fresh perspective, even if you’ve got an in-house team. Over a period of 18 months, I worked with Merlin on their SEA LIFE brand in the UK and China to refresh and devise new copy across a range of collateral. This included:
- Copywriting merchandising text labels for retail outlets across the UK and worldwide SEA LIFE
- Copyediting and copywriting text panels for a new SEA LIFE centre in Chongqing, China.
Other previous communication clients include: Pennine Lancashire Museums, Whitworth Art Gallery, Museums Development Northwest, Dales Countryside Museum, LeftCoast Creative People & Places, Rosehill Theatre, Contact Theatre, Harris Museum & Art Gallery.
‘Marge is adept at identifying the core elements of a brief and identifying, with the client, the best way to go about a project. Her work is unmistakably top quality and deadlines, even tight ones, are always met. She adds the ability of combining the professionalism of a client-consultant relationship with vital elements of team work and co-operation.’