Exploratory research to understand how the Harris could improve support for artists in Preston and the northwest.
The Harris offered opportunities to artists through:
- exhibiting at the regular Harris Open exhibition
- exhibiting on the Stairway.
As well as:
- programming wider international contemporary art exhibitions
- employing artists to run workshops
- offering talks, tours and events (often in collaboration with partners such as AND Festival).
As part of this exploratory research commission I investigated:
- whether artists were aware of the opportunities available
- which elements of the Harris’ work were valued
- ideas of how the Harris might work with artists in the future.
This involved consulting with both artists and visitors through various qualitative and quantitative methodologies. A final report was produced for the Harris to use alongside their own research and evaluation to inform future strategy.
Image courtesy: Harris Museum/Carl Rose